Abū Nuwās: Wine, Boys and Song (From Arabic)

Wine, Boys and Song
By Abū Nuwās
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Sing me a song, sweet Sulayman, 
and quench me with sweet wine.
When the bottle comes around, pass it 
with your hands into mine. 
Look! Morning's in the sky, already
its flaxen loincloth shines. 
With cups of comfort wash the call 
to prayer from my mind. 
Give me some wine to drink in public, 
then fuck me from behind.

The Original:
قال ابو نواس

ياسُلَيْمانُ غَنّني ، ومِنَ الرّاحِ فاسْـقِـني 
فإذا دَارَتِ الزّجـا جَـة ُ خُـذْها ، وعاطِني 
ما تَرَى الصّبْحَ قَدْ بَدا في إزارٍ متَبَّنِ
عاطِـني كأسَ سَـلْوَة ٍ عَنْ أذانِ المؤذِّنِ 
اسْقِـني الخمْرَ جهْرَةً وألْـِطني ، وأزْنني 
Romanization:

Yā sulaymānu ɣanninī, wa mina l-rāħi fa-sqinī
Fa-iðā dārati l-zujājatu xuðhā, wa-ˁāṭinī
Mā tarā l-ṣubħa qad badā fī izārin mutabbani
Aˁṭinī ka'sa salwatin ˁan aðāni l-mu'aððini
Isqinī l-xamra jahratan wa-aliṭnī wa-'azninī

No comments:

Post a Comment